Sunday, July 31, 2005

The Pointless Blog

Sorry folks, nothing really new to report. But I feel bad that I haven't updated in over a week, so just to prove I'm still around, here's a little blog. Because I like sounding like a broken record, I guess I shall give an update on me and moving. Got a note on my door that said I'm not moving until 8/10. So yay! A full 9 days more to pack! I'm actually almost done, I think. All I have left is my larger furniture items (couch, bed, tv's, etc.) and some last minute kitchen, bathroom, and computer stuff. Okay, it sounds like a lot, but in all honesty it's not. So I'm happy about that! Still not 100% sure where I'm going to be living or when I'll be living there, but I've learned to accept it for what it is.

Let's see what else is going on...ah yes, block party yesterday in MB. I only stayed for a little bit but got to hang out with ML, Y, KA, and a little bit of CS. Sad that G wasn't there, but I had a nice time. I've realized, however, that I really need to work on my social/flirting skills. I didn't just notice it yesterday, it's been on my mind more recently. And not like I saw anyone yesterday that I thought was cute, but in the event I AM in a situation where I think someone's cute...How does one just walk up to a random cute guy and start chatting? How do I gain the self confidence that apparently attracts more of the opposite sex? There used to be a show called Date Patrol on TLC. I felt sorry for the people for having no skills whatsoever dealing with dating, but I am now contemplating hiring a coach of my own... Where does one find such a person? And how do I do it without feeling like a complete loser? Any tips would be most appreciated.

We've got a new VP in our department. I'm still a bit on the fence as to whether I'm in hell or not. She's some big wig from Estee Lauder in NY, although no one can find any information on her on the internet (sketchy much?). First thing she changed when she came was our cube decorations. Yes, we work in a converted warehouse with stark white walls, gray cubes, and exposed ceilings. But we try to "fun" it up by proudly displaying our best packages above our cube walls and pinning colorful posters outside our cubicle space. We also have curtains (mine was an old 1980s Smurfs bedsheet) that we pin up when we need some privacy to work, eat, sleep, whatever. VP's first order of business is to demand that we take anything that goes above or outside of our cubes down or else we will get assigned to her "task force." No joke, her "task force." She also walks the halls in the mornings to see who shows up to work at what time. Yes, work starts at 8am and most of us don't get there until 8:30 or so. But we all get our work done on time and most of us stay until after 5pm so that makes up for the time difference, right? So why should it matter if we're half an hour late? She has most recently met with one of the other teams and lectured them on how they were all lazy designers and some of them were going to be "weeded out" and everyone's on probation in her eyes for the next 3 months. On top of all of that, JS, my favorite manager (not being sarcastic), is being shipped off to HK for the next 6 months so there's no one blocking G and I from the evils of KISS AND the new VP. Guys, seriously don't know how much more I can handle...

2 comments:

Y. said...

Great seeing you this weekend! Good luck with the new VP. She sounds scary...

vitamin g said...

bitch is a better word to describe her.